US citizens in possession of a valid passport do not need to apply for a visa to enter Germany.

US citizens planning to study in Germany are required to apply for a residence permit, in person, after entering Germany. The application for a residence permit is one of the many topics during the orientation program after arrival at your host university. You will get assistance filling out the forms.


Further information for incoming students can be found in the  Incoming Student Manual.


Please also consult the Hessen Outbound Student Guide, published by the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh: 


Did you know ...

According to Study.EU Country Ranking 2018, Germany continues to be top choice for international students in Europe! Click the link below for more information on the... more...


Apply now to join the Hessen: International Winter Universities (IWUs) in Kassel, Fulda or Darmstadt! All courses are conducted in English. German language... more...